Why use segments instead of groups?
We don't recommend using Emma Groups in the context of the Salesforce integration. Groups are quite manual as you need to select which groups an audience member should belong to (or not). For this reason, we feel segments that are automated and dynamic in nature are a much better fit when working with Salesforce data.
Segments can be built using custom fields you add to your Emma audience. Once created you can create segments to dynamically group audience members.
Our import wizard feature allows you to map data to Emma's custom fields. When mapping you can also choose to create custom fields if they don't currently exist. Once mapped our integration will push Salesforce data to related custom fields in Emma.
Segments are typically a lot more efficient and easier to set up.
Let's say you have four checkboxes in Salesforce on the contact record:
- Group A
- Group B
- Group C
- Group D
- You would need to create four groups in Emma.
- Then you would need to create four Salesforce reports, one for each group.
- Finally, you would need to create four import wizard schedules based on the different reports.
- If a change needed to be made you would need to check eight different things (4 x report, 4 x import wizard schedules).
- One Salesforce report.
- One import wizard.
- If you need to make a change simply update one Salesforce report and the corresponding import wizard.
- Segments are dynamic.
- They can be a lot less maintenance.
- Having fewer import wizard schedules is much more efficient.
- Salesforce reports and list views are very similar to segments.